How do you feel when you consider the idea of closing your eyes and imagining any cravings for unhealthy foods going away? Continue to imagine that you now enjoy eating food that is considered good for you. What do you think about the notion of hypnosis helping you lose weight? According to Jean Fain who is Harvard Medical School psychotherapist, it does. Here we’ll take a look at 10 different ways hypnosis can assist you in losing weight.
Despite Mr. Fein’s position, he says that even some of his colleagues typically don’t believe in hypnosis. When he tries to explain to others that he is a psychotherapist who hypnotizes people to help them lose weight, they always ask him if it actually works. When he answers that it does, they typically respond either with excitement or disbelief.
Even some professors at Harvard don’t understand or believe that putting someone in a trance can help them to lose weight and maintain their weight loss. Long before calorie counting or low carb diets were a thing, hypnosis was being used.
There hasn’t been a great deal of scientific evidence to show hypnosis is legitimate until recently. It is in part due to stage performers and those who perform tricks with hypnosis as entertainment that makes it is difficult to get the mainstream to see it as something that’s real. This is in spite of the fact that there has been a number of studies that have shown that clients who are taught self-hypnosis went on to lose much more weight than those who didn’t receive that training.
In fact, some of those in the study successfully kept the weight off for 2 years even after their treatment ended. This type of therapy continues to be a weight loss secret that is well-kept simply because of the skepticism surrounding it. For most people, if they haven’t had someone they personally know positively affected by this type of therapy they tend to find it hard to believe. The idea of using the mind to overcome food addiction is something people just have a difficult time swallowing.
People Typically Believe In Hypnosis Once They See Someone They Know Positively Affected By It
The best way to determine whether or not it’s real is to experience it for yourself.
- Anyone who practices hypnotherapy feels that what you need to succeed is already in you. It’s not necessary to go on one crash diet after another or use appetite suppressants. Instead, it’s more about trusting yourself like you do when you get on a bicycle. You may have forgotten long ago how scared you were the first time you got on, but through the process of practicing you can now ride with ease. In the same way, weight loss may seem impossible at the moment but once you find balance it will be as possible as riding a bike.
- If someone goes to a trickster for hypnosis then it may not work for them. But when they are with a hypnotherapist they feel comfortable with, then their expectations change. That therapist can then help convince you that the weight loss plan you want to follow will work.
- Focus on the positive. Your therapist shouldn’t use negative suggestions such as trying to convince you that sweets will somehow make you sick. Instead, they should help you focus on positive thinking. Using hypnosis to help you learn to respect and protect your body is a positive approach.
- Accept the fact that the mind and imagination are powerful. Athletes routinely use mental practice as part of their preparation for competition. They convince themselves that they will be victorious. In the same way, you can begin to imagine eating healthy and being the way that you desire. You might even consider finding an old photograph of yourself at a weight that you feel better about, and think about what you were doing differently at that time. Then imagine returning to those routines. Another approach is to imagine an older and wiser you and the advice that wiser you would give the younger you.
- Learn to use the power of your imagination with hypnotherapy. Doing this will help remove cravings by walking through a series of imagery sessions that help the cravings leave you. If driving by a fast food restaurant causes you to go off your diet then the hypnotherapist can help you get past that problem. They will walk you step-by-step through a process that helps you use your imagination and symbolism to cause the cravings to go away.
- Make modifications. Milton Erickson was a well-known innovator in hypnotherapy and he strongly advised using patterns. An example of this would be getting a client to gain weight before they started trying to lose it so that they break the pattern of losing and then regaining over and over again. Making changes such as eating some frozen yogurt in place of ice cream might be a good way to go as well.
- A person’s survival instinct is powerful. When someone is addicted to gummy bears their body may literally think that their life depends on those little candies. Giving them up can put the body in survival mode. Often what the body really wants is more nutrition. Once it gets what it needs then the cravings can go away.
- Regular practice will help you get there. Lifting weights one time or doing sit-ups will not make you Arnold Schwarzenegger or give you a six-pack. Going to one session of hypnosis will not help you lose weight. Routinely using positive suggestion several minutes every day can help your weight loss. When you combine it with other things such as breathing exercises and behavioral changes then you can reach your goal.
- Relapse is normal. It’s quite common for even the most well-intentioned client to have a moment of weakness where they overindulge or relapse. Hypnotherapy sees this as an opportunity rather than a reason to give up. It’s a chance to learn what is going on with you and understand why it happened. It also helps you when you confront it to be better prepared the next time when temptation is in front of you.
See If Hypnosis Can Help Improve Your Life….Contact Us At:
2909 Hillcroft Ave #515
Houston TX 77057
Phone: (713) 789-0713